Updated 6 October 2021
What’s happening at Richmond
While we will make every effort to provide all of our students with any updated information, the COVID situation may change quickly, and the advice below is subject to change on the basis of UK Government policy.
For detailed information on travelling to the UK visit our Important Information for Students webpage.
Latest UK Government advice
The rules for international travel to England have changed from 4 October 2021, with the key points being:
- new clearer travel system: red list and rest of world
- simpler, cheaper rules for fully vaccinated travellers coming from non-red list countries – fully vaccinated passengers will be able to replace day 2 PCR tests with cheaper lateral flow tests – from the end of October – and no longer need to take pre-departure tests (PDTs)
- 8 destinations removed from red list including Turkey and Pakistan
- government recognises full vaccinations from a further 17 countries and territories including Japan and Singapore
The LFD (Rapid Antigen tests) that will be replacing the PCR tests for day 2 arrivals are currently available on campus for students entirely free of charge!
You can find more information here.
For students on campus
- We have been informed of 13 employees who have tested positive for Coronavirus - one of these have been on campus this semester or last semester
- We have been informed of 36 students who have tested positive for Coronavirus - two of these have been on campus this semester or last semester
These are cumulative figures for positive tests among employees and students since the COVID-19 pandemic began.
Update on campus services
- In person services including catering, security and cleaning will remain available this semester
- Student Affairs provision will be unchanged. In-person Student Affairs support is available at Richmond and at 37 High Street Kensington
- Registry Services are available on site in Richmond Monday - Friday 9am-5pm, Kensington is by appointment only.
- Please refer to the Library calendar for details of online support and staffed opening hours at both Richmond and 37 High Street Kensington
- Finance Department is available to contact via email email@example.com or via telephone Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm on +44 (0) 20 8332 8334. Request student refunds and refund queries via email firstname.lastname@example.org. Details on how to pay can be found here.
- Other offices and departments will be available both in-person and online
We would like to thank all of our students for their perseverance and persistence during these very challenging times. We are all looking forward to a change in the COVID situation in 2021, and the University will respond and adapt accordingly. The education of our students and their safety remain our top priorities.
Although legal restrictions on COVID-19 have now been lifted, everybody needs to continue to act carefully and remain cautious. This is why we are keeping in place key protections:
- On-campus accommodation: students are being housed in zones which will operate as a household with some shared facilities and common space. We are also still allowing no non-residential guests in student residential areas. This is a response to Government guidance about limiting contacts while in larger residential areas
- Hand sanitiser at every entrance, in computer labs, library and offices
- Stepped up cleaning on high touch areas and public toilet facilities
- All guests must sign in and out at our reception desk and must follow our guest guidance to comply with NHS Track and Trace
- The University is also:
- offering unique building entry and exit points to manage the flow of people
- asking all community members to adhere to room capacities
- Compulsory mask wearing in corridors, classrooms and offices is required
We are also encouraging people to get vaccinated. This is free and available by appointment through your local doctor surgery if you are registered with the NHS or through a walk in clinic for anyone 18+ years of age.
See here for more details.
Self-test kits are available from the NHS directly and they are available on campus for students currently free of charge.
For information on how to take these tests please read through our Asymtomatic Testing Guide.
You can also collect a self-test kit via post, your local authority or participating pharmacies in your area. More details are available on this link. We also urge everyone to come forward for vaccination as soon as one is made available to you.
- For details of how to get tested for Covid-19 in the Richmond area see more information here.
- For details of how to get tested for Covid-19 in the Kensington area, see more information here.
Click here for travel information for any international students and parents who are travelling to the UK.